Follow by Email

Friday, December 11, 2009

Winter Mysteries

Lesbian couple wearing matching hand woven wool headbands.
People who decorate the hood of their car with festive wreaths and/or big velvet ribbons.
Adult women in full Santa Claus pantsuits.
Why?

Lately I have been playing a game called "How many times can I drop my cell phone before it stops working?" Quite a few, it turns out. Today I may have lost that game, however.

I also play-

How long can I drive when the "Out of gas" light is blinking?(all the way across town)

How close can I come to spending all of my money without overdrafting?( down to 78. cents once. I am a professional)

How long do I have to pretend to be asleep before Jeff will get up and change the midnight diaper?( 1.5 minutes)

How many times can I prank call Jeff at work before he loses it?( once)

How many empty Starbucks cups can i leave in the car before Jeff says something?(18)

How many My Little Ponies can Ruby leave in the passenger seat before I feel an irresistible urge to pitch them out onto the freeway?( 16 and 1/3)

A third of a pony, by the way, is the tiniest pony in the world. It wears diapers and fits in my hand. Ruby demands that I find it for her at odd moments, in the bathtub for instance.
"Honey, Mommy can't find her driver's licence. I have no idea where Baby Pony is."
"Look in the car," she will say, because she is already more organised than I am.
It's going to be a problem, I can already tell. Yesterday I took her to see my friend Cece, who is lounging at my same level of chaos and squalor. Cece's house is what mine would look like if I didn't have Jeff and Ruby harassing me all the time to be neat.
"It stinks in here!" Ruby called out when she walked through Cece's front door." You need to clean your garage sale!" She gestured, pointing at Cece's crap littering the floor.
"Honey, it's not a garage sale, it's just her house."
"It STINKS!"
Great. Isn't that the way it always is? Daughters are like their fathers, sons take after the mother. Awesome. Already she raises her eyebrows at me when we leave the house in the morning.
"When I come back I want to see this house clean!"




6 comments:

  1. Oh.My.God. Do you know how many of your stories make me stop and look around my room for the microphone I know you must have installed in it?! That sounds just like my daughter too. I swear we live in parallel universes. Oh, you make me laugh out loud.
    You are awesome!
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Ruby Pear! Nothing better than finding a new post first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh....I am pretty sure my daughter and yours were separated at birth! Thanks for sharing...now I have to go find my Madelyn's ponies.....*sigh*

    Warmly,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally unrelated, but i find that the expression "yay" as in yes really does my head in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that you are into collecting teeth and I found this on Etsy.

    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=36287806&ref=fp_feat_2

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'd like to see some lesbians wearing a matching pair of these.
    http://bit.ly/7vyAwa

    xo
    mj

    ReplyDelete